Who can be a member of the South Sudan NGO Forum?
All NGOs (that is: nongovernmental, not-for-profit, non-partisan, non-political and non-proselytising organisation) with a full-time presence in Southern Sudan, who has appropriate registration with the Ministry of Justice and RRC, pays membership fees, and is approved by the NGO Forum Steering Committee and Country Directors group is welcome to become a member. International organisations, businesses, NGOs without a full-time presence in Southern Sudan, or for-profit NGOs may not apply for membership.
What is the benifit of becoming a member of the South Sudan NGO Forum?
The NGO Forum provides a scope of services that are provided to its members but these are broadly:
- Information Sharing / Communication – The NGO Forum manages an information network that is unique in Southern Sudan. It exists to ensure that there is effective, and transparent, sharing of information relevant to both its members and external stakeholders.
- Coordination – The NGO Forum coordinates NGO activities through its various meetings and through relationships with external stakeholders.
- Representation / Policy / Advocacy / Lobbying – The NGO Forum represents the interests of its members in external meetings, policy discussions, advocacy meetings and documents, and lobbying on issues of common interest.
- Local NGO Development – The NGO Forum is committed to the development and capacity building of Local NGOs through the existence of a specialized Local NGO Forum as well as engagement with INGOs and donors to this end.
- Security – The NGO Forum provides its members with assistance in managing their security by serving as a focal point through which security training, advice, information, and advocacy on humanitarian space may be maintained.
How long is the membership period?
Membership renewal/payment is done on a yearly basis. Renewal notifications are usually sent to members in January. This requires completion of the same application form as first-time members.
How can my organisation apply for membership?
- Complete the application form.
- Await endorsement by the Steering Committee which meet every 2 weeks.
- Present a brief description of your organisation and it's activities to the monthly Country Directors group, afterwhich membership is voted upon.
Observer member status
In certain circumstances organisations can apply for observer membership which allows for use of the forum services but without having voting rights. Observer membership applications must be accompanied by a letter explaining the reasons for seeking observer status, which is then reviewed by the Steering Committee.